PCOS, Obesity and Fertility

Category: , , ,

For most of us with PCOS, one of the most frequently heard taunt is “Do something about your weight”. Yeah, even I have heard that. What I hate most about PCOS is that all its symptoms are physical – meaning they catch the eye and being overweight is one of them. Try whatever you might, the extra pounds don’t want to leave you at all.. So today is going to be a post on obesity.

How are PCOS and Obesity related?

Would you believe that even experts are confused on this part? They are still wondering “Which came first – Chicken or the Egg?” Yeah, nobody is still clear if obesity leads to PCOS or if PCOS causes obesity. But over 50% of the women with PCOS are Obese. It is also important to remember that the “PCOS Theorem”  applies here too that is, one can still have PCOS and not obese (like me).

PCOS Theorem: If you have PCOS, you can either have cysts in ovaries or not have them, you can either be overweight or be underweight, you may or may not have acne, you may have excess facial hair or body hair or both or in lucky cases none, you may have more than 12 periods in an year or none at all, your periods bleeding would be just one pad volume or you might receive award from the sanitary pad company for maximum usage, and you may or may not have fertility problems. In a nutshell, PCOS is a world of fuzzy uncertainties

What causes this Obesity in PCOS?

Insulin resistance is the culprit behind the Obesity. Almost 70% of PCOS women are insulin resistant which means the glucose metabolism does not happen how it should actually be. The level of blood sugar is high and pancreas keeps secreting more and more insulin to nullify this and as a result, the body stops responding to the insulin and glucose starts building up as fat. This is something serious because the effects does not stop with Obesity, it makes us more susceptible to diabetes at an younger age and in some cases gestational diabetes during pregnancy. Not just that, according to Samuel S. Thatcher, MD, PhD, F.A.C.O.G., USA, Director, The Center For Applied Reproductive Science, “obese individuals have greater risk of hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, stroke, gall bladder disease, and uterine cancer” (are there any more diseases in the world that he has missed to mention here???)

Does losing weight help?

Yes, it definitely does. Though it may be unclear if obesity does cause PCOS, but it is a proven fact that obesity exacerbates the PCOS condition and its symptoms. Studies have proven than reducing 10% of the body weight can be very effective in regulating the menstrual cycle and the ovulation. If you get lucky, reducing weight can eventually reduce the androgen levels and relieve you of some of the embarrassing symptom like acne and facial hair. Doctors agree that reducing weight makes infertility treatment to be more effective. So put that cake down and start gym-ing today!

Comments (4)

I have always had PCOS. I had it while I was a normal weight teenager and young adult. Then I was put on the pill for it. Then I started gaining weight until I became 90 pounds overweight. I have been stuck at this weight for years now.

Thank you so much for the wonderful information .This is really important for me .I am searching this kind of information from a long time and finally got it.

Thanks. Glad that the information was helpful

HOW I GOT PREGNANT.. My name is Janet VedalI have been married for 4 years without any child . My Fallopian tubes was blocked. I tried everything possible to get pregnant and nothing was working. I visited so many hospital's my problem never seems to end. I lost hope and felt depressed. One faithful day I started checking online on how to get pregnant in the comment section and people were testifying about how they got results after they used  Dr. Oyama herbs,  I was surprised about the testimony and decided to talk with him about my own issue. After explaining to him he said I have to purchase some medication from him after getting this medication I became pregnant and gave birth. If you want to talk to Oyama  contact him on WhatsApp +2348108264684 Page  @Oyamaherbs  Email address : droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com

Post a Comment